Monday, September 17, 2007

Observation Journal #1

Do You Think You're Cool Saying That?

This is what I think everytime I hear friends of mine uttering some sort of racial slur, some word that would offend someone of a different cultural or ethnic or racial background. It is very difficult, especially in this country, to avoid insulting someone. The incredible diversity in the United States alone proves this fact. However, does that mean we should not make an effort to be aversive to such insults? Should we continue using such language because it is acceptable, because it is what we are used to? I feel that although we have been brought up in a racist society (and by we I mean white people, but this problem is not just limited to white people), we have the power to eliminate such thoughts and escpae this brutal mindset. An ideal is what I have. This ideal, however, has certainly not been reached as I am surrounded by people, many of whom are my friends, that express no concern when using racist terms. At one friend's house, for example, it is expected that the word nigger will be used at least once, if not throughout the night. It is not that my friends are racist; they have no hate for another race whatsoever, and if they did I would not hang around them. However, does that make it right that I stand by and listen to such words being spoken? Along with racist inclinations, American society has embedded apathy into our brains. We watch while those who are (and are not) racist fling coarse language around, degrading other peoples. While I do not consider myself racist, it does not change the fact that more often than not I listen to these comments and do nothing about them. At the same time, the more I am around these people, the more I see something inside of me changing. Such words do not necessarily offend me. Rather, I question why they are used at all. Why do you feel the need to say these things? If you are not looking to get your ass kicked, why even think about them? Are we trying to prove soemthing by saying nigger in an all white setting? Acceptance of these words courses through the veins of America, but we are afraid to use them out in the open. Perhaps that is the problem I reserve for myself; I fear speaking out against my friends. Does that make me racist too? Or just apathetic? Perhaps they are one in the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were right when you said it is ideal not to use racial language. I just shrug certain words off because they have almost lost meaning. I am almost ashamed to think that I allow this to happen.

Mallorie Kutzner said...

You make great points. I think the reason we all shrug off racial slurs within our family or friends is because the way we use them with each other is not seen as "racist." In fact, I grew up just like any kid knowing the words, but was never taught that they had a direct purpose, to insult or harm another individual. Your friends may find comfort within their group, which makes it 100% easier to throw such words around in a “joking” –not so serious manner.

Stacey Dutil said...

I don't think you are racist for not speaking out against your friends, you may just be someone who hates conflict. However, I wonder if your friends would use the word nigger if they weren't in an all-white setting. I would assume they probably wouldn't say it to a black person. To me I would still interpret them as racist because all though they don't discriminate against blacks, they know the term is offensive and they make the choice to use it anyway.